Advocating for Reproductive Justice: My Internship with SisterLove

By Aleyea Mogilles 

the golden ratio symbol with "policy, advocacy, and mobilization lunch and learn" written on the side

The highlight of my internship was being given opportunity to research the Black Maternal Mortality crisis in Georgia. Prior to my internship, I was not familiar with the severity of the issue. As a Black woman, it was frightening to learn about the neglect of Black women within the United States government and healthcare system. The policy brief contained a detailed outline that described the origin as well as the current state of Black maternal mortality. The policy brief also gave me the opportunity to analyze past and present legislation around the country to better address the issue. Additionally, the policy brief provided me with the background to come up with my own legislative recommendations. After thorough research, I recommend that Georgia implement implicit bias training as well as an increase in funding geared toward maternal mortality research. The Policy, Advocacy, and Mobilization team supported my efforts throughout my internship and will use my findings to highlight the severity of the issue throughout Georgia. 

I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to learn from SisterLove. The atmosphere and community within the organization is extremely welcoming. Throughout my internship I felt valued and heard. My internship allowed me to get a firsthand view of an organization that was managed with a Feminist ideology and Reproductive Justice mindset. SisterLove inspired me to continue my passion towards fighting for equality for all people. I hope to continue to foster a relationship with those I have met and worked with throughout my internship. 

Photo of Aleyea Mogilles