Research Assistant for the American Society for Emergency Contraception

By Frances Kalpakis 

Photo of Frances Kalpakis with EC logo in green and orange

As a Sociology major and Social Work minor at Tulane University, I was eager to find an opportunity to advocate for and support reproductive rights. This summer, I had the pleasure of interning with the American Society for Emergency Contraception (ASEC), an experience that significantly enhanced my personal, academic, and professional growth.

During my internship, I successfully completed over 10 Emergency Contraceptive (EC) access survey responses, obtained contact information for colleges and universities with EC vending machines for a research study conducted by ASEC, and assisted in drafting fact sheets and formatting various materials in Canva for the website. Participating in surveys that determine the accessibility of EC and the new over-the-counter birth control, Opill, was particularly impactful. Despite living in New York, a state known for its accessibility and resources, I discovered a surprising lack of over-the-counter emergency contraceptives. Additionally, I encountered pharmacists who responded negatively and judgmentally when asked about emergency contraceptives and Opill, which highlighted an area needing improvement. This experience inspired me to initiate a project aimed at making women feel more comfortable seeking support and assistance.

I was also given the opportunity to create my own Emergency Contraceptive factsheet, many of which were published on the ASEC website. I conducted research and co-wrote a factsheet on a topic of my choosing. I decided to provide information about how emergency contraceptives can affect the menstrual cycle, a significant concern for those using EC without knowing what to expect next. This project allowed me to offer support and comfort to individuals lacking access to such information. 

Interning with the American Society for Emergency Contraception was an incredible experience, and I look forward to staying connected for future projects and support opportunities.