Another Summer of Epilepsy Research – Week 1

Before talking about my first week of my internship, I must first reflect upon my work from last summer. Last summer I completed a summer internship at the Laboratory of Multimodal Brain Mapping under the direction of Ashesh Mehta M.D., Ph.D. and David Groppe Ph.D. I found this internship through my connections via my dad (a neurologist in the North Shore-LIJ health system) and applied for the position through the Feinstein Institute of Medical Research summer internship program. This lab focuses on using various methods for measuring brain structure and function in order to increase the understanding of the human brain and the nature of epilepsy. Because the lab has so many goals, my job as an intern involved many different responsibilities. A part from developing my own project that investigated the use of fMRI as a predictor of the success of epilepsy surgery (Summer 2013 Project), I also played a key role in the epilepsy surgeries, brain mapping, and diagnosis. For example, during the first surgery, when electrodes are placed on the brain, I was responsible for recording the location, number, and name of each I was also responsible for recording and organizing data regarding the brain mapping process as well as making graphic representations of the electrodes on the brain (see image).

My experience as a research intern last summer was so rewarding that I immediately accepted the offer to return to my position for this summer. Not much felt different when I walked through the doors of North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, New York for my first day of work. I said hello to same security guard, passed by same Au Bon Pain, and used the same elevator up to the 9th floor as I did last summer. Upon my arrival I met with David to discuss my goals and project for the summer. We decided that my responsibilities as an intern will be the same the same as last summer, but my project from last summer will need to be adjusted since the data was not significant. As of now, my new project will address the same issue of how neurosurgeons can predict the success of epilepsy surgery. Similar methods of data acquisition will be used but different types of scans and analyses will be performed. Having previous experience with making the resection masks and acquiring data will make the beginning steps of my project run smoother, but I certainly expect to encounter some issues along the way as I begin to work with new software. Luckily, I work with very intelligent and helpful people that will make sure I accomplish all of my goals for the summer. I look forward to seeing the results of all my hard work to come!