My Summer Enviroment

This summer I am an intern at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research. The vast majority of the interns work in the Feinstein building, where the formal laboratories of the researchers are located. But I work on the 9th floor of the hospital building located right across the street from the research building. Our location, referred to as “9 Tower”, is the basis for the neurology department of the hospital (referred to as the Cushing Neuroscience Institute). I have a tiny space in a crowded EEG reading room.

ImageWhat’s so great about this location, you ask? Well besides being able to attend BOTH the North Shore University Hospital employee appreciation BBQ and the Feinstein employee appreciation BBQ…. I get to be in the actual hospital building, giving me the unique opportunity to interact with the patients and the employees. The research done in this lab doesn’t require the typical research machinery like microscopes, pipets, and centrifuges so theres no need to have a giant laboratory space. Apart from the fancy electrodes, surgical equipment, MRI machines, EEG monitors, etc., fast running computers and lots of memory space is about all that is needed to analyze and collect data. Being in the hospital building gives us access to all the necessary medical equipment, educated neurologists, and most importantly–the patient, the subject in our studies.

Being in the hospital is really exciting for me because I see it as my future workplace. It is very different to be an employee wearing a badge in the hospital verses being a patient or a visitor. One of the perks of my summer environment and working in my specific lab is that I get exposure to both clinical medicine and medical research. While upstairs in my tiny space I am learning how to use computer programs like MATLAB. But I also get to go downstairs to the operating room and watch neurosurgeon Dr. Ashesh Mehta ( the head of our lab) in action. I must admit that I feel really legitimate when I’m wearing my scrub uniform and whatever other protection is necessary.Image(the pink dress is a lead vest that protects against harmful radiation when a CT scanner or XRay machine is used during surgery)…..

While i the hospital, I am able to interact with medical school students, residents, and MDs. Being able to talk and interact with all of these people has given me insight into what to expect to the future. It is clear that my future will consist of long work hours, a lot of studying, and a professional white lab coat. Like many other dreams, my dream of becoming a physician will take a lot of hard work and dedication.

Enough about my workspace though…lets talk about my summer environment outside of the workplace. This summer I am living at my family home in Dix Hills, NY. I love the home-cooked meals, comfy bed, and the comfort of my family and friends. My house is about 25 miles from my workplace and with the rush hour traffic my commute ranges anywhere from 30-90 minutes. But, less than 25 miles away is the beach (perks of living on an island)! I’ve been to the beach twice this summer and I’m planning to go as many times as possible. I have also enjoyed the convenience of the Long Island Railroad multiple times this summer. The 59 minute ride on LIRR takes me into the heart of Manhattan, where I can encounter a plethora of good food, activities, and culture. Its been great living home this summer..although, I must admit, I do miss New Orleans.