What I’m enjoying most about being in Mexico City

What I am enjoying most about my new environment is the exposure to novel stimuli and experiences and the paradigm expansion that these experiences inspire. As cliché as it certainly sounds, the more I see, the more I fathom how vast the world is, and the more excited I become about learning. That sounds far more like Red Hot Chili Peppers lyrics than I would like.

First of all, I am immensely enjoying living in a different country and all of the learning opportunities doing so implies. In addition the evident learning experiences such as operating in a different language, acclimating to new forms of expression, and responding to cultural differences, I am intrigued by the small differences that could easily go unnoticed and unappreciated. For example, although Mexico is our neighboring country, I haven’t heard of half the fruits here. Let me tell you, this is a shame because these fruits are delicious. The packaging on gum, the fact that you can buy anything (yes, anything) in the metro, the thematic tendencies of conversation overheard on the street, all of these perhaps less momentous variances from what I am used to have made each day exciting. That said, the most fun part of being in a foreign place for me is, to some extent, making it my own; finding my food haunts and having the owners know me by name, mastering the geography of the city, making new friends.

Here’s some subtle humor. I took this picture of a sign next to a hot spring I went to a couple of hours from the city. The sign lists all of the things and behaviors that are prohibited on the grounds, including “any kind of scandal.” I think it is a testament to Mexico’s rebellious spirit that three people decided this would be the best place to dry their underwear.

prohibido

As mentioned in my previous posts, in my internship I work with thirty artists from all over the world. Most of these artists are significantly older than me. This summer is the first time I have had actual friends who are adults. For me, this has been exciting and has taught me a lot about the inconsequentiality of age. Additionally, I live in a large house with thirteen other young international people. I have loved getting to know people from all over, discussing politics and travel and Lady Gaga, and getting some insight into unique perspectives and philosophies. Through meeting many different kinds of people I’ve had access to a variety of social scenes within this enormous city.

Although I grew up with a lot of exposure to visual arts, nothing could have prepared me for Mexico City’s popping art scene, which I have gained access to through my internship. I have gone to many an art opening here, some good, some bad, some excellent, some utterly reprehensible. I have sat in on numerous lectures and discussions about art and I have done some heavy pondering on the human necessity of self expression. This impulse to express is evident to me not only in Mexico City’s art scene, but also at the turn of every corner. The mix of being around a lot of creative people and being in a foreign city has increased the plasticity of my thinking. All of these experiences I am having feed my curiosity and make me very grateful to have this opportunity to work and live abroad. corner

Thank you Newcomb College Institute!

Till next time,

Cora