How will you SAVE this summer?

Hi, my name is Meagan Magaldi and I’m a rising senior pursuing a dual degree in Psychology and Sociology. This summer, with the generous support of the Newcomb College Institute, I’m interning at Project SAVE in New Orleans, Louisiana!

Me at the office.
Me at the office.

Project SAVE is a non-profit law firm of Catholic Charities that provides free emergency legal representation to victims of domestic violence in Orleans parish. SAVE is an acronym for their mission, which is to “stop abuse through victim empowerment.” The emergency civil legal services they provide include: temporary restraining orders, protective orders, temporary child support, temporary spousal support, temporary child custody, and temporary use of community property. Project SAVE provides services to over 200 clients each year and the majority of their work is with low-income women. These services also help over 250 children each year.

Project SAVE is a partner of the New Orleans Family Justice Center and works closely with their organization to provide comprehensive services for victims of domestic violence and their families. Click on the links below to find out more about these organizations and the impact they are making in the local community!

Project SAVE: http://www.ccano.org/domesticviolence/

New Orleans Family Justice Center: http://www.nofjc.org/

New Orleans Family Justice Center
New Orleans Family Justice Center

I first discovered Project SAVE through the Tulane Center for Public Service Internship Fair in Spring 2014. I had the opportunity to work with Project SAVE during June and July of last summer and I am very excited to have the opportunity to return to the organization as a legal intern this summer!

The responsibilities of this position are multifaceted. As Project SAVE is a small non-profit organization, I have the unique opportunity to play a hands-on role. In addition to assisting with client interviews, I have the opportunity to accompany the attorneys to civil court, sit in on legal proceedings, and provide additional support to survivors during trial. Additionally, the legal intern is responsible for filing routine court documents, attending monthly DVAC (Domestic Violence Advisory Council) meetings, and various other clerical and supportive works.

My first week was a whirlwind of excitement! Many things are the same as last summer, but there are a few new developments. The New Orleans Family Justice Center (where our office is located) underwent some renovations and 2 new judges are on the domestic circuit at civil court (which is just a short walk from our office). Between catching up with the wonderful staff and attorneys at Project SAVE, sitting in on client interviews, accompanying the attorneys to court for 4 out of the 5 days, filing subpoenas, drafting and mailing motions to withdrawal to clients, organizing the file room, and attending the May DVAC meeting, I feel right at home! I’ve missed interning with Project SAVE.

This summer, I hope to continue to deepen my understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence. Additionally, I want to learn more about the importance of wrap-around services for victims of domestic violence and how these services are executed. Lastly, I hope to build relationships with female leaders who are working to stop the cycle of domestic violence in our community. Thanks for reading and be sure to check back to learn more about Project SAVE and my summer experience. I can’t wait to share all of my intern adventures with you!

Ms. Vicki and I. She has already taught me so much and I love chatting with her when we’re not too busy.