Happy Halfway

As I hit my halfway point at my internship for 102.3 WHIV FM (radio programming dedicated to public health, human rights, and social justice), I have grown more confident in my decision to pursue public health as a major. I have begun to do more in depth work and networking. I started writing my own public service announcements about our free HIV clinics and the significance of getting tested. I have also networked with other departments of Odyssey House, including their OHMEGA program, which helps house

Met Harry Shearer who plays several roles in The Simpsons including Ned Flanders and Mr.Burns at our office for a show

and help minority women with or at risk of HIV/AIDS. I have also started engineering live shows that we have during the week, which includes meeting special guests and making sure the shows run smoothly. I’m usually on the radio about 3-5 times every day.

So far most of my goals are in the process of being met, which is incredible! I have now learned not only the research side of public health, but also the media approach and awareness tactics. What I plan to achieve next includes figuring out how I can take this amazing experience and apply it on campus. I was recently offered a spot on the News and Views segment of WTUL since a few friends heard that I had some experience. My next project for my last few weeks is to make a fifteen minute segment on something that I am interested in. I have decided to discuss the “Tulane bubble” and how people who come to school here in New Orleans don’t really choose to see the real New Orleans. I have been conducting a few interviews and researching where the “Tulane bubble” came from. I’m looking forward to what the next few weeks lies ahead for me.

Where I record my daily public service announcements
Where I conduct my research
Where I conduct my research