Intern’s Choice

With two weeks left at Bioceptive, the summer is sadly coming to a close. However, my time here has definitely not been wasted. The experience and knowledge I have gained here will be a great help when I eventually decide to open my own biotech business. Working here has given me valuable skills that complement my academic education, but it has also taught me lessons that I won’t find at school. There you will find problems to solve that already have solutions. In real life, there are no set solutions. There isn’t anything to check your work against. You have to rely on your skills and hope that you are right; and its not as simple as one right answer. There maybe several right answers and you have to pick the few that fit the best and try each of them out for size; but as is usually the case with engineering, you’re not alone. There’s always someone or a team of someones that you can ask for help. It’s also nice to have a supportive work environment. Since Bioceptive is a part of the BioInnovation Center, I’m surrounded by other people going through the same struggle, which creates a sense of camaraderie. I’ve also noticed a fair amount of women working here, which is comforting since the engineering industry is notoriously known for its gender bias. STEM fields have a tendency to alienate women, but I am pleased to find that isn’t the case here. I have been thoroughly challenged this summer and I am very grateful for it. I worked on a lot of important things and learned a lot from each of them, but I think my most meaningful project has been the development of a new product. Bioceptive is a women’s health company so my bosses wanted me to explore other issues in that area that they could improve. I researched and brain stormed and came up with a new product idea that they will be continuing with even after I’m gone, and its nice to know that I made a meaningful impact on this company. It has been an incredible summer in New Orleans, and I’m sad to see it go, but the experiences, skills, and memories will always be with me.

logo-bioceptive