Saying Goodbye to Project SAVE

Interning at Project SAVE has been an incredible experience! This summer, I expanded my knowledge of the intersection of psychology and the law, the dynamics of domestic violence, and the role of comprehensive services for victims of domestic violence.

My learning goals and objectives for the summer were multifaceted. I observed the role that Project SAVE plays in assisting clients with receiving permanent protective orders, updated the filing system, developed conversational techniques that I can use when interacting with those in the office, and compiled a comprehensive resource guide for victims of domestic violence. In addition to these learning goals, I had the opportunity to research numerous local and national organizations committed to providing assistance to survivors and their families. For example, one of the beautiful clients we have been assisting over the past months lost several of her teeth due to the physical abuse inflicted upon her by her abuser. No woman should be ashamed of her smile so I researched free dental assistance for DV victims. We connected her with Give Back a Smile, an organization that “heals one of the most devastating effects of domestic and sexual violence, by restoring the smiles of adult women and men who have suffered dental injuries to the front 8 teeth.”

I can’t talk about my internship experiences without taking the time to thank the wonderful mentors I had the opportunity to work with this summer at Project SAVE! From the moment I walked through the door, I was welcomed with open arms into their family. The talented and dedicated attorneys, Allyson and Ms. Joan, as well as the amazing office manager Ms. Vicki, taught me so much about the organization and about myself. They took the time to care about me and educate me; I never felt limited in my title as “intern.” I will take the lessons and knowledge I have gained through my internship this summer and continue to build upon them in my remaining semesters at Tulane.

If you’re a student like me interested in the intersection of psychology and the law, I highly recommend that you apply for a summer internship that will allow you to explore both of your passions. Non-profit organizations such as the one I worked with exist throughout the country and I encourage you to apply for their summer internships (and apply early, before the deadline)! This internship at Project SAVE allowed me to gain hands-on experience in the field before I attend graduate school. I believe all students who are interested in going to law school should have experience in the legal field before they apply so that they know the true expectations and duties that attorneys perform as part of their daily routine. As one of my friends noted when I was telling her about my day in court: “It’s definitely not like Judge Judy!”