Winding Down at theWELL

This week was my final week serving as an intern at theWELL on Tulane’s campus. During the upcoming school year I’ll still continue to work closely at theWELL, both as an employee and a member of the Peer Health Educator Leadership Team. While it feels very weird to see all the students coming back to campus after it being so quiet all summer, I’m excited to start my senior year and continue working with theWELL during the rest of my time at Tulane.

I feel very thankful for the opportunity to complete this internship and I believe it has given me insight, skills, and knowledge that will help me succeed in the upcoming academic year and after graduation. Having much less structure and fewer deadlines challenged me to prioritize and time manage in ways I hadn’t in the past. I also feel as through I learned how to navigate an office environment and gained insight into all the responsibilities and goings-on both at theWELL and other offices within Student Affairs. This showed me all the complex ways our university works to improve Tulane and the student experience, efforts that often remain off most students’ radar. It impressed me and made me grateful to be surrounded by people working to better students’ time in college.

I think this insight into Student Affairs and all that it does will be especially helpful in leading the Peer Health Educators next year. Throughout my time at theWELL over the summer, I planned activities, meetings, and trainings for the rest of the Peer Health Educators. Being able to work so closely with staff from theWELL and Student Affairs allowed me to tailor these activities to align with the goals of other offices. I believe that this will help my organization become better suited to serve the Tulane community and allow our Peer Health Educators to make a bigger difference in improving health outcomes for their fellow students.

Overall I am extremely grateful for all of the wonderful opportunities both theWELL and Newcomb College Institute granted to me this summer. I could not have picked a better place to work or a better city to spend my last summer of college. I learned a lot, and as evidenced by the video below, had a lot of fun while doing it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUCYJNL4_w