Taking on DC!

Hi all! My name is Kiera Solomon and I am a rising sophomore studying political science and sociology at Tulane University. This summer, I have been given the opportunity of working at a political fundraising firm in Washington D.C. I will have the honor of working directly with Congressmen and Congresswomen on their campaigns for the fall.

I am incredibly excited about the hands-on experience that I will be able to have this summer, especially because it will be during a very exciting election year. I will be able to engage in donor research, event planning, and other political fundraising activities. Working in this firm will give me the practical knowledge about software and strategic planning that is only learned from working within the field. It will allow me to create personal connections to other professionals and allow me to increase my circle of networking opportunities. This internship will allow me to advance in my future career by miles, especially for someone my age.

To make this summer as meaningful as possible, I have designated several learning objectives during my time in DC:

1. To be able to integrate knowledge from diverse disciplines, courses, and areas into everyday work.
  2. To improve my written and oral communication skills
  3. To develop my professional skills
  4. To create strong networking connections with congressmen and other political workers
  5. To continue developing self-reliance and self-confidence in the work place

This internship fits in perfectly with NCI’s mission of educating undergraduate women for leadership in the 21st century because it allows for learning in and out of the classroom. It will give me the hands on experience of working in a male dominated world of politics. This internship will provide me with a fresh perspective on the biases against women in the political world of Washington DC, and will provide me with opportunities to play a role in the advancement of women in politics. Working with influential congresswomen will allow me to see how they are able to overcome the gender double standards that many women face in politics.

I have been diligently preparing for this internship so that I can start with the smallest possible learning curve. I have also been avidly following the news so that I can be well versed with current events. I have also been researching Congress and familiarizing myself with the House of Representatives and Senate.

Wish me luck!

I will keep y’all updated on how it is going.