Web Development in NYC!

Hi everyone!

My name is Bryce Berman and I am a rising junior at Tulane, majoring in Psychology and English with a creative writing concentration, with minors in liberal arts management and Spanish. Born and raised in northern New Jersey (Franklin Lakes), I’ve grown up spending many weekends in New York City and have been so lucky to have one of the greatest cities as such an integral part of my upbringing. I am ecstatic to spend more time in NYC this summer in Washington Heights at the Columbia University/New York Psychiatric Institute division of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry as a web content and writing intern.

Some of my learning objectives include:

1. Familiarize myself with professional websites and digital development programs
  2. Expand my writing repertoire by creating fact sheets, interactive features and resources for a diverse audience of parents, physicians and youth
  3. Gain more insight into various psychological issues facing children and adolescents today by attending weekly seminars
  4. Develop stronger interpersonal communication skills and expand my network of connections in the psychology field
  5. Learn about the processes and intricacies involved in website development under the supervision of Susan Rosenthal, the web producer for the division of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

This internship relates to Newcomb College Institute’s mission of educating undergraduate women because web development and digital media are essential components of the 21st century. As women continue to make strides in gender equality, it is important that we position ourselves at an advantage in educational equality as well. By learning web development, I hope to gain skills that qualify my candidacy in the 21st century job market. Additionally, under the supervision of Ms. Susan Rosenthal, I plan to observe how to effectively command respect and leadership in a STEM setting, which is often dominated by males. I am really looking forward to learning from and about Ms. Rosenthal and other women in the division of Child & Adolescent psychiatry, and how they have been able to overcome the obstacles and advantages of gender.

I am preparing for this internship by working to come up with a time and cost effective commuting plan to and from New York City every day. Additionally, I am brushing up on my Spanish skills because many of the attendees of the weekly seminars are Spanish speakers so my foreign language skills will make my participation more effective. I have been familiarizing myself with Columbia Psychiatry’s current website and online resources as well as their templates for the new materials.

I’m really excited to learn more about child and adolescent psychology because most of my exposure has been to the geriatric population. I’m also looking forward to writing material for and contributing to a new professional website. I’ll be sure to keep you updated on my adventures!