PLEN Conference: Women in Global Policy

Meet Nicole Carle! She is double majoring in Political Economy- International Perspectives (B.A) and Economics (B.S.). She attended the Women in Global Policy PLEN conference to learn more about law and global peacemaking policy

IMG_1530.JPG

Describe yourself and why you wanted to attend the PLEN Conference.

My name is Nicole Carle and I am a rising senior at Tulane University. I am currently the president of Women in Politics and definitely see myself pursuing a career either in Washington D.C., somewhere abroad, or one that allows me to have both. I decided to apply for a PLEN Conference because I wanted to see what possibilities were out there for me and to meet the role models in those positions who are paving the way for young women to pursue their passions. More importantly, in today’s day and age, the most important skill one can have is a strong networking capability. PLEN teaches the attendees how to do just that, and more importantly, how to be a working professional, best preparing us for whatever lies ahead!

What were your favorite parts of the conference?

My favorite part of the conference was the site visit to the United States Institute of Peace. Not only were we in a smaller group and able to have a better conversation with the women meeting with us, but I hope to someday be involved in peacemaking processes around the world and was able to learn about the numerous, yet detailed, projects that they work on to promote a world without conflict.

Who was your favorite speaker?

One of the people we heard from was Lisa Rice. While she is on the PLEN board and was not a panelist, hearing about her journey as a Tulane alumnae made it seem even more possible to be able to follow my dreams with a Tulane degree. In fact, we heard from numerous alumnae who have become very powerful in Washington, including Angela Ellard who works on the Hill, and Christine Turner, who took the time to have lunch with the Tulane participants and offer incredibly helpful insight and advice.

What do you hope to never forget?

Keep in touch with your network (even when you don’t need something)! You never know when you might need to rely on someone else for career assistance!

Why should other students attend a PLEN conference?

Meet other students from around the country who are just like you! A network is not simply the mentors you encounter, but your peers as well.

Does this sound like something you might be interested in? Tulane undergraduate students can apply to NCI for funding to attend PLEN conferences. Email Betsy Lopez at elopez@tulane.edu for more information.

Responses have been lightly edited for length and clarity.