Putting the FUN in Fundraising!

Hi from DC!

What an incredible summer thus far! It’s hard to believe that I am half way done with this internship! This has been one of the most eye opening experiences for me. It has given me a better perspective on American politics and has allowed me to directly affect politician’s campaigns. Every day I try to incorporate my original learning objectives into the work I am completing. For example, when answering phone calls or writing up event/meeting memos I work on improving my oral and written communication skills. It’s incredibly hard to monitor growth that is based off hands-on learning experiences, but I am determined that the best way to gauge how much I have grown is to think about how comfortable I am in certain settings. Since I have been working on my professionalism skills, I feel incredibly comfortable being around Congressmen and working in the office setting at the firm. With each of my learning goals I have been able to see improvement and growth due to my ease and comfort with each task/skill set.

Throughout the day I have so many different projects that it’s hard to highlight just one activity that I am proud of. I think the most meaningful task that I have been given is being able to work at the congressional events and assist the finance associates in event hosting. Attending these events is such an honor because it allows the associates to see your abilities in action and also gives you the chance to get out of the office and network with Congressmen and other important political figures.

This internship is helping me develop myself as a female leader and is helping me assist other females to gain power in Washington, DC. It is no secret that politics tends to be a male dominated world, but with this internship I am able to support other female candidates and incumbents and assist them in their fundraising efforts, a huge part of the re-election. When these women are elected into office, many are dedicated to help protect women’s reproductive health and fight for women’s rights. They are incredibly influential female leaders who are constantly inspiring me.

Throughout this internship, I’ve learned the value of understanding fundraising and being comfortable with dealing with that side of politics. Both re-election committees and district offices are looking for people with fundraising backgrounds because it gives you a greater insight on how important money is during an election. It is also important because it shows you how to research donors, pull fundraising data, and hold fundraisers. All of these skills will be important for my future career!

Well that’s all for now.

Have a wonderful rest of your summer.

thumbnail_IMG_0295