Midpoint at Manos Abiertas

My clinic in Cidu

As I complete my halfway point at Manos Abiertas in Ciudad Vieja, Guatemala, I am excited to see how far I have come and grown. Since my last post I have attended more prenatal and gynecological appointments as well as my first birth! I am now more comfortable with my surroundings and understanding Guatemalan culture in terms of reproductive rights. It is also very interesting to compare these rights and customs with United States culture.

Attending my first birth was a great sign of my growth since I applied most of the information I learned into this experience. I strongly recommend everyone to see a child born because it is a very impactful experience. My first birth assistance was a water birth to a healthy six-pound boy. Watching the mother’s development over the past few months and finally seeing her have her child was rewarding and taught me the significance of patience in the birthing process.

I also recently wrapped up my intern project here, advertising for our half-priced deals that occurs every third wednesday of the month. My project was to make flyers and signs and hand them out both in Ciudad Vieja and Antigua. We had the highest amount of people we ever had according to my boss. Currently I am on call for the next birth that should take place by next week.