End of GrowNYC

I’ve been done with my internship at GrowNYC for some time now and have had a chance to reflect on my amazing summer.

Looking back I feel so thankful for all that NCI and GrowNYC (specifically my supervisor Winnie) provided me with. I believe that this summer was a time of growth and development. I learned a lot about the business-side of a non-profit organization and the administrative work necessary for all sections of the program to run smoothly. I was able to increase my own knowledge and awareness of the importance of eating locally by teaching students and New Yorkers. I also gained confidence in my public speaking by giving tours of the greenmarkets, speaking to classes, and speaking to co-workers.

Whose to say where I will end up in the future, but I will certainly hold onto the things that I learned from GrowNYC. I will continue to maintain confidence in myself and take initiative when it comes to jobs and opportunities. I will continue to educate others about why one should shop locally and sustainable through my work with the Green Wave Community Market at Tulane. I will also tell other women about the Newcomb College Institute and the amazing summer that it helped to create. GrowNYC provided me with a lot of face-to-face work. I would like to explore my love of working with people and perhaps looks into teaching, therapy, or social work.

If I could give any advice to future students it would be to take initiative. My internship did not have any listed job availabilities, but I thought that I might as well try. After an e-mail correspondence and a phone call, I had the job! Do not be embarrassed about reaching out and do not be afraid to go out of your comfort zone.

One thought on “End of GrowNYC

• December 12, 2016 at 7:58 am
    Permalink

Thanks a lot for giving everyone an extraordinarily brilliant chance to read articles and blog posts from this blog.