Farewell

Looking back on summer 2016 two words come to mind: growth and connection. I choose “growth” because I was forced to confront and analyze the ups and downs of my internship. While I certainly gained a large number of useful skills and made invaluable relationships with my coworkers, more than anything I used my time at Points of Light/HandsOn Network as a launching pad for me to probe deeper into what I want out of my future, professionally and personally. While I am still in the process of figuring this out (and probably always will be –after all, we’re never finished growing) I am thankful for the opportunity to live and learn in DC.

As for the “connection” part of the summer, I was able to live with three of my closest girlfriends in a cozy little apartment. During the school we all live in different cities, so having the time and space to be together was incredibly meaningful. The word connection also applies to the work relationships I formed with my supervisor Morgan, and other employees at Points of Light. From day one I felt welcomed and respected and did my best to return the favor. I believe these working relationships will prove to be vital in the future. Also while in DC I was able to network with peers and Tulane alum, many of whom were women, forming relationships that I suspect may play out more fully in the future.

I would encourage students in the future who are even considering to apply for a Newcomb grant to ABSOLUTELY do so. Don’t worry that your internship doesn’t “fit” a certain structure –after all there are so many different ways in which we can work to empower women and female employees. Go for it!

As I write this final blog post I want to express my gratitude for Newcomb College Institute, the generous donors who made this grant possible, and Tulane University. I have felt supported and enabled throughout my entire time here and cannot thank you enough for helping me achieve my goals this summer.

Let’s see what’s next,

Emma