Being a Woman With A Vision

Interning at Woman With A Vision, Inc. (WWAV), has been a very rewarding experience. I have learned the roots, history, and dynamics of various social movements within the Black female community such as Black Feminism and intersectionality. I have also learned of the social issues that Black women are facing today such as misogynoir, transphobia, sex worker discrimination, etc. From learning these essential concepts and movements, I have not only further developed my own personal understanding and analysis, but have learned how to navigate the world by being a Black woman myself.

Currently, I am working with others to help high school aged Black girls create a biography booklet comprised of significant Black women, past and present, from the city of New Orleans. The booklet is to serve as a source of inspiration to these young women to not be discouraged about the disenfranchisement Black women face, but to remain strong and unwavering in their goals. We work to provide a space of encouragement and uplifting for Black women and Black young girls who are finding their way in a society of discrimination and systemic racism.