My Amazing Time at NOAF

As I am approaching my last week as an intern at NOAF, I reflect back on this amazing learning experience in my last semester at Tulane University. I was able to do many things, meet new people, expand my horizons, step out of my comfort zone, and learn to be a more compassionate and understanding individual towards women’s issues.

In addition to clinic escorting, I am involved in NOAF Game-a-Thon. This year, we raised the most we ever raised. Currently, we are only $700 away from $30,000. I fundraised with my clinic escorting team called the Sidewalk Sirens. We dressed up in vulva costumes and paraded Frenchman Street on a Saturday night asking people to donate to NOAF and take a picture with us for $5 and receive a free vodka-soaked gummy bears. In just an hour, we were able to make $150, minus other fees. I never thought that I would be spending my last semester as an undergraduate raising money for NOAF dressed in a vulva costume. In the end, our team won for raising the most money as a team.

I was really nervous about asking people for money, but Amy helped me draft a personal letter to send out to my friends and colleagues asking for donations towards NOAF. I learned that it is fine to ask people for help, the least they could do is say no. I am very proud to be a part of this great organization that gives back so much to women in the community. I am very proud to be a part of NOAF, and helping it raise the most money it has every raised.