Joining the Girls Who Invest Community

Hello everyone! My name is Kelsey Stevenson and I’m a rising junior from Memphis, TN double majoring in Finance and Management Consulting. This summer, I will be participating in an exciting educational program and internship experience through a new program called Girls Who Invest (“GWI”).

Girls Who Invest is a non-profit organization that aims to bring more women into portfolio management and executive leadership positions by teaching them to be skilled allocators of capital and preparing them to enter the industry in all asset classes. GWI is a four-week educational program at the University of Pennsylvania where I will learn core finance and investment concepts and skills from business school professors from across the country. During this program, I will have the amazing opportunity to increase my knowledge base and skillset as it relates to the asset management industry. This four-week educational program will transition into a six-week internship at an asset management firm. I have been placed at Wellington Management in Boston, MA for my internship. At Wellington, I will have the opportunity to work directly alongside analysts and portfolio managers on an investment team, where I will perform research to help the teams make decisions for client portfolios.

Below, I have highlighted 5 learning objectives that I hope to achieve during this experience.

• I hope to increase my general knowledge in the areas of finance and investment.
  • I hope to be challenged and to think through real problems and identify solutions.
  • I want to directly apply knowledge from the GWI program to real life situations and experiences during my internship.
  • I would like to gain experience working in a professional environment and learn more about business etiquette in the workplace.
  • I hope to make meaningful connections with industry professionals, my cohort, and the GWI community to help overcome obstacles that women face in the asset management industry.

The program at GWI fits perfectly with NCI’s mission of educating undergraduate women for leadership in the 21st century. The GWI program focuses on education, industry outreach, accessibility, and career placement to help young women become leaders in the asset management industry. GWI focuses not only on developing leadership skills during the program, but it also dedicates a large portion of its resources to ensuring that more women become real-life leaders in executive positions across the industry. GWI is a constantly growing community of people and resources, as it focuses on connecting and engaging young women with leaders and professionals across the industry.

I’m preparing for this experience by brushing up on my finance skills and my other relevant Tulane coursework that will be directly applicable to the program and internship. I’m extremely excited to participate in this unique learning and professional experience. This year, GWI selected a nationwide cohort of 60 Freshman and Sophomore women to participate in this experience, and I’m very much looking forward to broadening my network, gaining new perspectives, and learning from my peers in both a professional and social setting. I’m also looking forward to connecting with leaders and professionals across the asset management industry. Additionally, this program will provide me with knowledge and experience that will tremendously contribute to my development and success in the industry, and I look forward to applying this knowledge to my coursework at Tulane and during my future career endeavors.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.02.13 AM