My Beginning with NOAF

Hi! I’m Hannah, an Anthropology and Environmental Studies double major and a feminist. As an executive board member for the Feminist Alliance of Student’s at Tulane (FAST) and a member of Tulane’s Student’s United For Reproductive Justice (SURGE), I feel deeply passionate about reproductive rights and justice, and believe a woman’s bodily autonomy is her right and her choice. Anthropology has taught me that different cultural systems look at abortion and the right to choose in different ways, and I’m very interested in what it is about the intersection of American culture and institutionalized race and gender discrimination that makes this critical issue so divisive and harmful to those seeking out control over their own bodies. Coming from a majority liberal and feminist-encouraging town in New Jersey, Louisiana has been a sobering wake-me-up for me to the incredibly difficult process of accessibility, affordability, and social stigma attached to a woman’s right to choose. I want to do what I can to help women get the resources and support they need to feel able, safe and comfortable making these choices, which is why I am so excited to begin working with the New Orleans Abortion Fund this summer!

image

At NOAF, I will be working for their NOAF OutLoud campaign. This is a storytelling program that gives women the platform and support to tell their abortion stories, and acts a fundraising event. I believe in this campaign’s goals to amplify the voices and experiences of women who have sought out abortion services. I think by telling these stories loudly, listeners will be able to put a face and life story to the women who have made these difficult decisions, humanizing them and making the issue of access to these services come alive. I truly can’t wait to begin to be a part of this dedicated and hardworking organization and work on such a inspiring project!