Environmental Activism and #tbt: My First 2 Weeks at ELAW

Image

Walking up the steps of the 103 year-old house in Eugene, Oregon that is home to Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW), I had only a small idea of what to expect in the coming months. I was excited to be a part of ELAW’s mission to help communities speak out for clean air, clean water, and a healthy planet, but I didn’t know how I would play a role.

I was pleasantly surprised to find my supervisor waiting to introduce me to the ELAW team. My first day was filled with projects to get more familiar with ELAW, their mission, their work, and their upcoming projects. Now that my second week is over, I have settled more into my role at ELAW.

One of the major projects I have been working on is a series of “throwbacks” for the ELAW facebook page. This entailed going through 25 years of archived newsletters and picking out my favorite victories that ELAW has won for the environment over the years. This project has helped hone my understanding of what ELAW does throughout the world, and made me even more grateful to be a part of an organization that is able to make such a positive difference for environmental activists.

I found out about ELAW through a family friend who recommended I check out the organization because it seemed to fit my areas of interest. After looking at the ELAW website for more information, I emailed the office manager asking about possible summer internships. After she wrote back and explained more in depth, I sent in a resume and cover letter, which thankfully secured me a spot at ELAW as one of two summer interns.

One of the things I am most grateful for is the flexibility and commitment to learning that the ELAW staff has afforded me. Everyone is always willing to make a special effort to answer my questions and help me in any way they can. My supervisor even let my fellow intern and me take a couple hours to walk to the courthouse and sit in on a hearing for the Juliana v. United States case which, is a landmark federal climate lawsuit for youth ages 9-21 against the federal government arguing that their rights are at stake due to the government’s inaction regarding climate change.

I am looking forward to learning more about the inner-workings and structure of a non-profit, as well as continuing to be exposed to more and more unexpected projects and learning opportunities each day. I am truly appreciative for the flexibility to be able to work hard, as well as take the time to experience important environmental events.

More updates soon!