Week 1 with Girls Who Code Miami!

I am working for Girls Who Code whose mission is to close the gender gap in technology. There are locations all over the country, but I am in the Miami area. I am working with a team of 6 teachers and 40 students in the Miami Dade College Idea Center. Our goal as a teaching team is to teach different components of computer science and also create a community of young women in technology.

My responsibilities include teaching the curriculum given to us by GWC, assisting the girls on their work, fostering a sisterhood, and meeting with 6 of the girls individually every week.

I found my internship through an organization I am a part of on campus. I am the current president of Women in Technology at Tulane, and the previous president worked with GWC a couple of summers ago. She knew about my love for education and suggested this internship. I would encourage other students to ask mentors and older students about their internships in the past.

I just finished my first week of teaching! I had an amazing week, but we did have a lot of mishaps. I learned a lot about how to effectively deal with problems and difficult individuals in a professional way. Our goal as a teaching team this week was to really get to know the girls and make them comfortable around each other.FullSizeRender 2 As far as curriculum, we started off with a program called Scratch. This is an interactive way to learn to code. By the end of the week, the girls made side scroller games! I was really impressed by the girls. They are all extremely creative and determined, and I saw some amazing projects. I also really got to know the girls. I love all their different, quirky personalities. It is interesting from a teacher’s perspective because each interaction with a student tells you something different about the student and how you can help them.FullSizeRender 3 I have learned how to talk to and interact with students because it won’t be the same for everyone. Tone of voice, body position, the way you deliver instructions, and attitude while conversing are all important to keep in mind while with the students.

My expectations for this summer are to continue learning how to effectively manage a classroom and teach the material to the students. I also expect to get to know all of the girls on a personal level and to encourage them to continue pursuing opportunities in this field.

I am really excited for the rest of my time in Miami and to continue to get to know all of the girls and my teaching team!IMG_0021

Pic of our teaching team!

Our classroom Instagram is: girlswhocodemdc

By the way: we got a shout out on Instagram from our CEO, Reshma Saujani!!!!