NOAF OutLoud and a Future of Story Sharing

In my time so far with the New Orleans Abortion Fund, I’m already learning more about abortion access and running a non-profit than I could have anticipated and I know this is only the beginning! I’m very excited to be gaining the skills necessary and learning more about what goes into a community engaged non profit, including event planning and story sharing, through my focus on the NOAF OutLoud campaign. The NOAF OutLoud campaign is based on centering the narrative of abortion access and focusing on the women, partners, family, clinic escorts and more people that actually go through abortion experiences, rather than seeing this issue as a partisan debate.

In helping Amy plan our first public OutLoud story sharing event and in planning my own OutLoud house parties, I’ve gained so much valuable insight into what goes into event planning and story sharing facilitation. These skills will not only help me in my future work with reproductive health and justice organizations, non-profits, museums or schools that will include event and community engagement opportunities, but the ability to facilitate, listen and engage participants will also be invaluable. In my goals to further my anthropological research, learning to organize story sharing will be essential for accessing first hand cultural knowledge and perspective.

The skills I’m learning with NOAF in my work as a Clinic Escort, in planning rallies and events and conducting community outreach online and in person are practical skills I’ll be able to take to to other non-profits. In addition, the first hand knowledge of abortion access laws, restrictions, policy and personal experiences will help guide me in future Reproductive Health, Rights and Justice initiatives and organizations that I plan to continue to work with throughout my personal and professional future. I plan to continue my work as a Clinic Escort with NOAF, and hope others who are interested in affirming and protecting abortions access rights will become involved in that amazing volunteer opportunity as well.

Amy and one of our stickers at our first public NOAF OutLoud event.

file