Progress and orders of protections: my second week as an Intern at The Child Abuse and Domestic Violence Bureau

Today marks my second week as an Intern at the Child Abuse and Domestic Violence Bureau at the New York District Attorney’s Office in Suffolk County, NY! Ever since the founding of The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office in January of 1964, The District Attorney’s Office has worked fervently to create a safe and just community.

The Suffolk County District Attorney’s office is located in the Cohalan Court Complex in Central Islip, New York. The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office consists of twenty-four judges, three hundred and thirty Assistant District Attorneys plus support staff, and fifteen bureaus to prosecute crime within Suffolk County–mine including The Domestic Violence Bureau.

The mission of The Domestic Violence Bureau is to bring perpetrators of crime to justice and to fight on the behalf of victims of domestic violence crimes who suffer from atrocities such as sexual abuse syndrome, battered women’s syndrome and rape trauma syndrome. Through advocacy and litigation, The Domestic Violence Bureau works to accomplish their goal to afford justice to those affected by domestic violence and helps victims create the life they have envisioned for themselves. According to Assistant District Attorney Josh, “the most rewarding part of the job is being able to help domestic violence victims; knowing that I am going to help victims who were harmed by others”(Josh Interview, 6/29/2017).

FullSizeRender (7)

Domestic violence encapsulates a far-stretching social and political issue that affects thousands of individuals across the United States. According to The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, domestic violence, or “the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another” affects approximately ten million adults and fifteen million children individuals annually and contributes to fifteen percent of violent crime (The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence). In addition to contributing to many negative psychological problems such as high rates of depression and suicide, domestic violence has many negative economic effects as well: the cost of domestic violence exceeds $8.3 billion dollars annually and accounts for eight million days of lost work per year. By working to fight on behalf of those affected by Domestic Violence, the Domestic Violence Bureau works to build a future which both improves the economy and encompasses a more kind and respecting society.

As an intern, my responsibilities include writing orders of protection for Domestic Violence victims looking to protect themselves and their family. In addition, I examine court cases and compile specific evidence to assist the Assistant District Attorneys which they use to build their argument to prosecute criminals. For the remainder of my day, I observe jury and bench trials and direct victims to available resources who provide emotional and legal assistance, such as the advocacy group Long Island against Domestic Violence. I found and secured my internship by visiting Tulane’s Success Center and meeting with my academic advisor. My advisor then connected me to different resources and taught me how to research different internship opportunities online. That is how I found out the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office was offering internships and applied.

During the beginning of my experience at the District Attorney’s Office, I have gained experience speaking to different attorneys and observing trials which has taught me much about Domestic Violence and the judicial process as a whole. For instance, I was given the opportunity to sit in cases being held in the Integrated Domestic Violence Court, which handles domestic cases that are linked to other categories of crimes. Within these courts, I saw how domestic violence charges are linked with charges which would normally be handled in other courts such as Family Court, Narcotics, “DUI” Court, and the Vehicular Crime Bureau. By speaking to Attorneys from both the District Attorney’s Office and Child Protective Services, I have come to understand how truly multifaceted and powerful Domestic Violence is. Although it has only been two weeks, I am truly ecstatic to learn of what will be coming in the next few months of the District Attorney;’s Office. I expect to learn not only why Assistant District Attorneys pursue their work, but why Domestic Violence is such a widespread issue in our community. I am so excited to keep you updated on all the things I am doing this summer!