Ready to get back to work!

My name is Brittney Sheena and I am a senior at Tulane University majoring in neuroscience and minoring in public health and Spanish. I am excited to continue working as a reproductive rights and health intern this semester. My knowledge of reproductive health issues developed significantly from my experience over the summer and I know my understanding will continue to grow this semester.

Over the summer, I conducted research with Dr. Alyssa Lederer on sexuality health education. Unfortunately, sexually transmitted infections (STIs) have a disproportionate impact on adolescents and can lead to adverse health implications. My principal research project has been investigating college students’ gap in STI knowledge. Through literature reviews and qualitative coding analysis, Dr. Lederer and I have positioned ourselves to use this semester to work on journal publications and poster proposals. In addition to STI knowledge gap research, I helped work on an instrument design project and a grant proposal, tasks I did not anticipate when I entered the position, but I am unbelievably grateful for the intellectual and academic development they provided. I am curious what other research experience will arise as I continue this journey.

In addition to my research on sexuality health education, I work at the Behavioral and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Lab at Tulane Medical School, where my research team and I assess how the mother-child relationship can influence child development. I am also a proud member of Tulane Emergency Medical Services, Mortar Board Honor Society, and Kappa Alpha Theta. I want to pursue an MD/MPH to not only treat patient symptoms and maladies, but also prevent health issues through culturally appropriate education and coordination of health actors.