PLEN: Women in Corporate and Nonprofit Leadership

Meet Alexa Kimmel! She is a psychology major minoring in political science and public health. She also recently attended Public Leadership Education Network (PLEN)’s Women in Corporate and Nonprofit Leadership seminar in DC.

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 3.44.37 PM

Describe yourself and why you wanted to attend this PLEN conference:

I wanted to attend the conference so I can learn and develop the skills necessary to be successful in a nonprofit setting after graduation.

What were your favorite parts of the conference?

All aspects of the conference were extremely informative and insightful, but my favorite part of the conference was meeting so many different women leaders in a variety of positions who are working tirelessly to make the world a better place.

Highlight a speaker or a job site you visited:

The keynote speaker, Ms. Gabriella Morris, the partnerships director for UNICEF USA was absolutely incredible.

What did you learn that you hope to never forget?

I learned how to enter a field or career path that may seem unattainable based on prior background.

Why should other students attend a PLEN conference?

The skills and abilities I developed from attending the conference and meeting with leaders across a variety of nonprofit and corporate fields are invaluable.

Does this sound like something you might be interested in? Tulane undergraduate students can apply to NCI for funding to attend PLEN conferences. Email Betsy Lopez at elopez@tulane.edu for more information.

Responses have been lightly edited for length and clarity.