Feminist Camp: NYC

Meet Manali Souda! Manali is a senior at Tulane who recently attended Feminist Camp in New York City, thanks to a grant from Newcomb College Institute. Read about her experience below:

Describe yourself and why you wanted to attend Feminist Camp:

I am a senior majoring in political science and English. I was interested in Feminist Camp because I’d heard really good things about it from my friends, and because I was interested in seeing what I could do with my political beliefs after graduation.

What were your favorite parts of the conference?

Being able to meet women at the Feminist Press was really inspirational—I’d learned about its instrumental role in reviving the work of almost-forgotten female authors of the late nineteenth century in my English classes, and hearing about the work they do now to highlight underrepresented authors was pretty amazing.

feminist camp

Highlight some information you learned about reproductive health and reproductive justice:

One of the most memorable parts of the camp was learning how to perform an abortion on a papaya, but being able to meet all sorts of women who do work around reproductive justice on a larger scale was also incredible. By meeting organizers, doulas, and medical professionals, we got an all-round view of the different facets of reproductive health and reproductive justice.

Detail what you learned that you hope to never forget:

I hope I never forget the feeling of solidarity I had with the other women in my cohort! I really connected with them and learning their stories and activism inspired me more.

Why should other students attend a Feminist Camp?

I was pretty unsure about it when I first applied, but I am really glad I did. It reminded me why I’m a feminist and why I want to take my passions and politics with me wherever I go.

How did this experience help with your future ambitions?

It clarified for me the ways in which I would or wouldn’t be comfortable with my feminist politic in professional spaces.

Does this sound like something you might be interested in? Tulane undergraduate students can apply to NCI for funding to attend Feminist Camp. Email Betsy Lopez at elopez@tulane.edu for more information.

Responses have been lightly edited for length and clarity.