Continuing my work with Dr. Lederer

brittney sheena

Hi y’all! My name is Brittney Sheena and I am a senior at Tulane University majoring in neuroscience and minoring in public health and Spanish. I began working with the Newcomb College Institute and Dr. Alyssa Lederer in May 2017 as a Reproductive Rights and Reproductive Health Intern. Through this internship, I have advanced my scientific research and writing skills, learned how reproductive justice and rights influence other rights, and engaged in increase dialogue about reproductive health issues.

Since May, I have been working on a sexuality health education project assessing college students’ knowledge deficiencies. Through this qualitative investigation I developed content analysis and literature investigation skills. At the beginning of last semester, Dr. Lederer and I submitted a poster proposal to the American College Health Association (ACHA) conference to share our findings with others in field of college health. After waiting several months, we heard positive news from the conference that our proposal has been accepted. I am currently looking into conference funding opportunities to be able to travel with Dr. Lederer to Washington, D.C. to present our findings. My primary project remains the completion of the manuscript for knowledge gap findings. I am excited to see the complete project to fruition and have learned an incredible amount about reading, writing, and engaging with public health research from this opportunity. As this project comes to a close, I am starting on a new task of looking at STI knowledge correlates. I look forward to assessing a similar topic from a quantitative perspective and strengthening my analytic skills from a varying approach.