Summer Internship at the Feinstein Institute

My name is Maya David, and I am a Tulane sophomore studying neuroscience! I am from Hollywood, FL, but my internship this summer will be in NYC.

3C79DA60-6189-4B41-9F55-6D7B55D039D9.jpeg

I will be interning for a neurosurgeon at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research. The institute is known for its innovation in research and medical discoveries. My research mentor focuses on brain tumors and neural stem cells. This type of research is perfect for me not only because I am a neuroscience major, but also because I have experience working with stem cells at the Tulane Center for Stem Cell Research and Regenerative Medicine.

Although my internship is with the Feinstein Institute, my mentor spends most of his time at Lenox Hill Hospital where he is the Vice Chair of Neurosurgery. Therefore, 4 out of 5 days of the week I will be at the hospital as well. I will also be assisting my supervisor at a clinic where I will get hands-on patient contact. I will even be able to observe my mentor perform brain surgery. In addition, I will be given the opportunity to conduct my own research and learn new scientific research techniques. I am ecstatic that I will be able to apply all the information I have learned from my neuroscience classes to my research! I am also excited to learn how to become part of the small percentage of female neurosurgeons in America to hopefully increase women’s representation. I want to learn what it is like having a career in such a male-dominated field. Most importantly, I cannot wait for this incredible opportunity to learn more about the life of a neurosurgeon!