Affiliate Marketing Internship: 2 Weeks In!

My 9-5 internship as an affiliate marketing intern, is anything but a run-of-the-mill, regular day job. I have been working with Admitad India for a little over two weeks now and it is the greatest work experience I could have had. Admitad India is an affiliate network based in Germany, with offices in over 8 countries. The Indian location is in Gurugram, India. With its deep knowledge of and sensitivity to consumer behavior in the Indian market, Admitad is on its way to becoming one of the biggest networks of its kind, running huge campaigns for multimillion dollar companies, like Amazon Prime, Citibank India, Decathlon, Nykaa and such.

In my short time as an intern, I have participated in various hands-on tasks and feel great about the kind of responsibilities I have been made in charge of. I am mostly working with the advertising team, but I have been familiarized with the publishing and public relations team as well. The first day of my internship, I met with my supervisor and she asked me about my background. In India, it is a little uncommon for undergraduates to work as interns before graduation. So she was very interested to work with me and get a different, and possibly more active point of view in the workplace. She identified my strengths in the short conversation we had, and put me in contact with the Public Relations (PR) Head, and the Senior Executive of Advertising. The PR Head was, at the time, working on writing a press release. After gauging my interest and proficiency in the area, she asked me to write the one-page news report. The document was sent in with minor corrections to my draft and my supervisor really congratulated me on my work.

I am also involved with the advertising department. Initially, I was asked to do all of the research work, finding and identifying potential clients. I made over a dozen spreadsheets categorizing different advertisers with their website statistics and contact information in the first week itself. Currently, I am reaching out to these advertisers through email and LinkedIn, and have connected almost 15 of these potential clients to my company’s executives.

Every supervisor I have been assigned to has been a woman and a great resource for me, both professionally and personally. It is great to see how Admitad promotes an equal work setting. The recruiters of the company are absolutely gender-blind in their hiring process and the male-to-female ratio amongst the employees is nearly equal. In line with NCI’s mission to nurture women to be 21st century leaders, the management here organizes leadership workshops regularly, and I was lucky enough participate in one of these amazing events last week.

Landing this internship was an intense but relatively short process for me. Having a strong network and relevant connections helped me save time and gave me an edge over other candidates in the application and selection process. I highly suggest having an open mind and attitude towards new opportunities and people. I also recommend everyone to do at least one internship in their college career. I’ve learned so many new things not just about the job, but also about myself! This summer, I hope to work on developing my self-confidence and professional presence. My supervisor is very supportive and is always ready to help me learn. I feel very comfortable with all of my colleagues and they’re all very helpful and fun people to talk to.

This internship has made me excited to start working an actual job after graduation! Every day when I wake up (after hitting the snooze button once), I am excited to dive into another day of learning and experiencing. I am really curious to see how this experience unfolds in the coming weeks!