Gardening + promoting healthy living with RFC!

IMG_0956 2.JPG
Recirculating Farms Coalition’s Women’s Garden

After a late start to my internship, I can finally say I have officially settled in to working for this amazing organization. The Recirculating Farms Coalition and it’s small staff do so much and their work is so diversified. As a bit more of an introduction, I have the mission statement written below:

The Recirculating Farms Coalition is a collaborative group of farmers, educators, non-profit organizations and many others committed to building local sources of healthy, accessible food. Through research, education and advocacy, we work together to support the development of eco-efficient farms that use clean recycled water as the basis to grow food. We believe these recirculating farms can create stable green jobs and supply sustainably-grown food – fruits, vegetables, herbs and humanely-raised seafood – in diverse communities nationwide, and someday, worldwide.

The organization has two programs in New Orleans… Growing Local NOLA (the urban farms they operate) and Growing Local NOLA on the Geaux (the mobile health and wellness program). The two farms they operate are based in Central City, and the mobile program travels all around New Orleans offering cooking and yoga classes, constructing garden beds, and much more. They organize about three events every week around the city!

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.48.40
Yoga class hosted by RFC at the ReFresh Project in New Orleans

My responsibilities thus far have included helping out on the farms and assisting in my supervisor’s daily duties… whether that be filling out donation requests for snacks to provide at our events, or researching organizations to print shirts for our staff. During Essence Festival’s Day of Service on July 5, I assisted in the management and construction of five raised garden beds at Guste Homes, an apartment complex in Central City that houses both elderly and low-income populations. Being a team member of this nonprofit has already allowed me to learn so much about how nonprofits function and what it means to be part of a small team like the one that we have at RFC.

One of my favorite parts of this experience with RFC was when I attended a panel discussion about food advocacy in New Orleans. The panel was composed of farmers, directors, and other key members of the food justice community here in the city. Marianne (RFC’s Executive Director) moderated the discussion, which was full of candid responses and unique perspectives about the problems that each panel member faces every day when trying to provide healthy access to food for New Orleanians. It was truly inspiring to see all of these people coming together to learn from each other, support one another and discuss what steps can be taken to create a systemic change in our community.

My expectations for this summer are to become more involved in this community, whether it be on the farm or attending meetings similar to the panel I mentioned above. I hope to support the members of RFC in whatever way they need, and potentially be given more responsibility in programming and event management. Working with RFC has allowed me to really integrate myself in the New Orleans community, and I am really looking forward to continuing my work with them. Grow local!

The hydroponic and aquaponic system that we have at our main farm on Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard