What I’ve learned and done so far at APAC

Hello all!

I am coming into my third week at the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center (APAC). It has very much been a learning experience for me especially being in a new city. I was finally able to move into my new place for the summer last week, and I have somewhat conquered the D.C. metro system. I love traveling by the metro and how it makes many, many places accessible. I was able to experience a very American July 4th by watching the fireworks on the National lawn and by the Washington Monument.

I have learned a lot at the APAC office. Everyday I am able to participate in stimulating conversation. Almost the entire staff is Asian America (all with their own unique stories and background), and almost all of the staff are women. All the other interns are also Asian American, and we have all been getting along great. One of the other interns, presented on “decolonization” and what that means in the museum world. I learned just how interdisciplinary the museum world is. There are elements of the arts, history, writing, logistics, curation, etc.

APAC may be contrary to what one might think of as a museum. It does not have a physical building or permanent collection. APAC uses this to their advantage. It puts on Culture Labs which are curated, engaging events that are meant to express a theme from the Asian American experience. These labs are put on in different cities, and they curate the events with local artists and from the community. Without a physical location, there is a broadness that allows APAC to tell all stories of Asian American-ness.

They also abide by a Culture Lab Manifesto that informs all that they do:

• A Culture of Memory
  • A Culture of Representation
  • A Culture of Ambition and Evolution
  • A Culture of Imagination
  • A Culture of Presence
  • A Culture of Equity
  • A Culture of Community
  • A Culture of Intersectionality
  • A Culture of Relevance
  • A Culture of Belonging
  • A Culture of Beauty
  • A Culture of Inspiration
  • A Culture of Fun
  • A Culture of Action

Some of the tenets are expressed through activities in their Culture Lab Manifesto pictured below.

Besides being in the office, there has been many opportunities to explore. The other interns and I, were able to tour the Lunder Conservation Center at the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Right to the City exhibit at the Anacostia Museum. The Smithsonian Folklife Festival was also happening during the last two weeks.

Currently, I am working with the Education Specialist to develop the education page on the website. There is currently no content on their website for educators and education resources, so we are working with organizations to develop the curriculum. The curriculum is based around teaching young students about activism and understanding how to use lessons we have learned in the past and apply it to the future. The types of activities presented in the Culture Lab Manifesto (pictured above) are the types of activities that will be built into the curriculum.

Everyday I am learning more and more how there are many ways to tell a peoples story with integrity and dignity and without the bounded walls of a traditional museum.

Below is a picture from a display in our office. It is from a past crowd sourced exhibit where they asked people to send in pictures from their Daily Life. It is another example of how without having a permanent collection, they can curate exhibits using Asian Pacific American experiences of today, and in turn how that is a way of preserving history and culture.