Progress at Ngong Road Children’s Association

It’s wild* to realize that I have already spent nearly 6 weeks here in Nairobi! The time is going so fast. Reflecting on my learning objectives for the experience, I’ve made a lot of progress.

1. Improve quantitative research skills, including data management and SPSS data analysis

My quantitative skills have improved a lot through this first experience of managing a large sample of data. I recently finished digitizing survey responses from about 200 students, which we are using to compare knowledge changes from before and after they began participating in the sexual and reproductive health peer education program. Initial analysis seems to show that the lessons are working, but we also still have a long way to go! I’m excited to be taking a public health class called “Intro to Statistical Packages” in the fall, where I will learn more advanced statistical analysis techniques using computer software to analyze the survey results.

1. Improve qualitative research skills, including drafting focus group and interview guides, conducting focus groups and interviews, and coding and analyzing the transcriptions

I recently finished about 15 hours of interviews with high school and college students involved in NRCA to learn more about their opinions of the SRH education lessons and their attitudes about safe sex and contraceptives. This was even more helpful in guiding changes to the SRH program than the quantitative data results, because the students were able to give me direct feedback on what they liked, disliked, and wanted to change. I’m so glad that we decided to use both quantitative and qualitative methods to evaluate the program, because now we have a wide range of information to help us make improvements.

1. Improve project development skills, including finding creative, sustainable improvements to the existing SRH program

This is the goal I have made the most progress on, because it constitutes my major responsibilities at NRCA. Since the day I arrived I have been keeping a brainstorming list of possible improvements to the program, and I am excited to say that some of my ideas are finally translating into changes. All the while working with the peer educators (YPPs), I have made connections with local clinics and community partners, begun working on a website for kids to access SRH information independently, continued developing curriculum resources, and even improved the budget so that the funding for the program is more effectively channeled into action. Currently, my most consuming projects are working with YPPs to develop activities for the post-secondary summer camp in August and coordinating a tour of a local clinic that has youth friendly services, so that more students feel comfortable seeking out contraception. All of these activities have also been integral to helping me develop my leadership skills on project planning. My position has been extremely self motivated, and I’ve learned how to break down my goals into manageable tasks, convince other colleagues of the feasibility of my goals, and leverage their support to make them a reality. Succeeding has boosted my confidence that I can manage teams and succeed at designing and implementing other research projects, including my upcoming honors thesis and ultimately a PhD.

1. Improve East African cultural competency, including improving Swahili speaking ability.

This goal has probably been the most frustrating to pursue. Amidst working at least 40 hours a week at NRCA, I have also been balancing my job as the Women Leading Change case journal assistant editor, writing extensive application essays for Marshall and Fulbright scholarships, and trying to remotely maintain my involvement with reproductive justice activism in New Orleans. This has left little time for the independent Swahili study that I intended to work on, and until recently I was feeling very frustrated with myself for not being able to seamlessly communicate in the local language. However, about a week ago I reached a point where I must have listened to and struggled through enough conversations that I made a breakthrough! Over the past several days my conversations have become much more fluid and I have been proud of myself for using my language skills to navigate the extremely chaotic local bus system, make friends with some local artists, and understand (most of) the news. To anyone else struggling to learn a new language, remember how important it is to be patient with yourself!

1. Improve professional development skills by working as part of a team at an NGO (NRCA) and networking with other SRH professionals in the Nairobi area

I am so glad that I have finally gotten to the point in my life where I enjoy group projects rather than dreading them. I love working with the NRCA team! They are all incredibly kind, passionate, and hard working. Maureen is a great director to work under—she is organized, decisive, and provides a strong vision for the organization. I have also had great experiences networking with other local organizations involved in sexual and reproductive health education and care. I was pleased to learn that there are so many other innovative programs to improve the lives of young people in this city that we can connect the NRCA kids to. On a personal level, coordinating and leading so many meetings has been great networking experience and taught me the best ways to arrange a meeting agenda and take notes on the fly!

Impromptu Objective: Take better care of myself

Throughout my time in Nairobi I have also been determined to focus on self-care. At school I am so often bogged down by my classes, jobs, and extracurriculars that I neglect my own health and find both my body and mind suffering. Without the distractions of college, I have been able to commit to getting 8 hours of sleep each night, take yoga and dance classes that are finally helping me heal an old back injury, and spend time finishing several novels that I have been reading for ages. I’ve found that throughout each day I have better mental clarity, passion for my work, and space to dream big about my future in a way that felt stifled throughout the past year. Among the other lessons and skills that I take away from this experiences, I hope that I can carry this renewed commitment to my own inner peace with me when I return.

*I was lucky enough to see this baby rhino and its mama in Nairobi National Park a couple weeks ago. The Nairobi skyline in the background shows you how literally these majestic creatures have come up against rapidly expanding urban areas. However, the incredible conservation work of the Kenya Wildlife Service is clear, and this happy pair was thriving!