Netroots Conference

38508311_2049733638382878_1136166832890183680_n Last weekend I attended the Netroots Conference here in New Orleans. I was super excited to go because of the many famous and activist keynote speakers. My favorite speaker at the conference was Alexandria Ocasio Cortez in the final keynote. She started her speech by stating that she would not apologize for looking tired or for not wearing any make up. She also was not going to apologize for wearing the same dress because she was here to make a speech and that was all that mattered. Netroots was inspirational in the speakers that gave insight into their political campaigns and their activism.

I also was able to go to a panel on the West Virginia Teacher’s Strike. It was hosted by Erica Newsome, Zenetta Stalworth and Brianne Solomon. They all talked about their roles in organizing the strike and how important it was for all of the schools and teachers to remain united, even when the governor tried to undermine them. The administrators and the teachers worked together for about 2 months to ensure that everyone received equal benefits and pay. Their hard work and dedication paid off because they eventually won in court and received what they asked for. Now, most of the organizers are helping other unions and teachers learn how to organize as well. The West Virginia teachers are inspiring because, even though they won their own battle, they knew they could use their resources and knowledge to help other teachers throughout the country.

I also had the honor of listening to a panel with Amy Irvin, Melissa Harris Perry, Carmen Berkley, Erin Matson, and Aimee Thorne Thomas. This panel was labeled “No Choice” because they all discussed what each of their organization was doing in response to the possible loss of Roe v. Wade. Their conversation was so important because of the upcoming Supreme Court Nominee, Brett Kavanaugh. Their panel went overtime because of how many different ways each organization is working to ensure that all women are able to access reproductive services. It was inspiring to hear and I was so happy to be on the NOAF team while I was there.

Overall, Netroots was a very educating and helpful conference for me to attend. I was able to listen to many people who are working so hard to make a change in our country. Netroots was very inspiring for me as a college student because I was able to see people who had turned activism into their full time job. I hope for the next Netroots, the organization works harder to be more inclusive and include the city in which they are in. Adding a local perspective allows the people who are visiting to really understand the city itself and all of the challenges the city and its people have gone through.