End of the Semester Reflection- Lift Louisiana Advocacy Intern

Wow, how the semester flew by! I feel like I have accomplished and learned so much in such a short time after working with Lift. I have created small things from posters to post cards to creating questionnaires that will be sent out to all the Louisiana women who attend our events. At Lift Louisiana’s Women on Wednesday event, I have talked to several Louisiana women of all shapes, colors, ethnicities, religions, and other backgrounds. Women on Wednesdays is a bi-weekly advocacy campaign. Each week, Lift Louisiana and our partners, will host groups of advocates at the State Capitol, to learn about key issues affecting women across our state and the impacts of proposed legislation. Advocates will receive training on how to influence the legislative process , and will have the chance to speak directly to their lawmakers. At Women on Wednesday, after hearing their stories and their desire for change inspired me to do more in my internship. One of my biggest takeaways from my internship has been seeing, in detail, how messed up legislation is. That might sound blunt, but it’s true. The topic of women’s rights in legislation are either left out of the conservation or the legislation lacks in complexity. Women are not one dimensional and the laws should reflect that. In a perfect world, the laws should be based on their needs for security, health, and general quality of life. Because of my experiences this semester, I am going to try to make that dream a reality.