My Summer as an NCI Intern Begins- The ACHA Conference

I am so grateful and excited to get to continue my internship with Dr. Alyssa Lederer and the Check It project this summer! Right after finals and up until this past week, we all took a bit of a summer break. However, that didn’t mean that my work with Check It actually stopped! Over the break I transcribed 5 interviews. The Check It Team is getting ready to start coding all of our interviews soon and identify themes. As time goes on, I continue to expand and refine my qualitative research skills.

However, it’s not just the qualitative research skills; this internship is bringing me so much more than I could ever have asked for. The first week of this summer’s internship was absolutely fantastic. Dr. Lederer invited me to the American College Health Association’s (ACHA) Annual Conference in Denver, CO. Luckily for me, Denver is actually my hometown. It was very easy for me to go to this conference because I was already back visiting and staying with my family. The ACHA Conference turned out to be one of the best opportunities that the Reproductive Rights and Reproductive Health Internship has given me. I was absolutely motivated by all of the professionals that I had the pleasure of meeting at the conference. I learned so much from the sessions that I was able to attend. Seeing Dr. Lederer present on her projects at a big conference was incredibly inspiring. Overall, the conference furthered my excitement to become a working professional in Public Health.

The photo attached is all of the Tulane folks that attended the conference: Dr. Scott Tims (Assistant Vice President of Campus Health), Dr. Alyssa Lederer (Assistant Professor at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine), myself, Andi Goodall (a recent Tulane graduate), Allison Foster (a previous NCI intern), La’Tesha Hinton (Assistant Director of The Well for Health Promotion), Amy Vertacnik (a previous NCI intern), and Alicia Czachowski (Director of Public Health Initiatives and Assessment of The Well for Health Promotion).

I am so lucky to be a part of the NCI Internship which allows me to expand my skills and connections while also leading me to amazing opportunities like this one.