Interning in the Biomechanics of Growth and Remodeling Lab

My name is Katherine (Katie) Mattingly and I am a rising junior studying biomedical engineering. I am beyond grateful for NCI in aiding me in my summer research experience in the Biomechanics of Growth and Remodeling Lab under Dr. Kristin Miller, and I am looking forward to sharing my journey with you all.

Over the summer, I will be researching the biomechanics of pelvic organ prolapse (POP), which is defined as the descent of the pelvic organs into the vaginal canal, and how the architecture and orientation of collagen fibers in vaginal tissue relate to the onset of POP. Additionally, I will be developing a protocol to remove the epithelial layer of the vaginal wall in order to more readily observe the subepithelial layer in histology images.

My five learning objectives all follow these topics and are aimed at aiding myself in becoming a better researcher, writer, and speaker. First, I will effectively use SolidWorks to build a cannula machine that scrapes out the epithelial layer of the vaginal wall. I have already begun this process by printing out small holders that will help tie down the vaginal wall.

Next, I will repetitively practice dissecting the murine female reproductive system in 30-45 minutes (or less) in order to maintain the natural mechanical functions of the vagina. At this point in time, I have dissected around ten mice, but I need to have more practice in order to become efficient with the process.

Third, I will learn how to take an ultrasound image of the murine vaginal tissue under altered mechanical properties and perform diameter and thickness quantification. I will be performing tests in order to observe how the mechanical functions of the vagina change with specific pressures and diameters and I will need to observe the changes through ultrasound images.

Next, I will be quantifying the collagen fiber orientation and alignment in the vaginal tissues through histology images and open source software. Basically, once we receive the images from the histology, we will need a way to analyze the data. Finally, I aim to develop my reading, writing, and public speaking skills through this experience. I will read a plethora of peer-reviewed articles throughout the summer to get accustomed to the way in which they are written, and I will be developing presentations for lab meetings based on some of the articles I read. These exercises are aimed at helping me get ready for my thesis and its related presentations.

This internship directly relates to NCI’s mission to educate undergraduates for women’s leadership in the twenty-first century since the research directly relates to women’s health. One in ten women have a lifetime risk of undergoing surgical procedures due to POP, but there is very little information on how and why this complication occurs. In Dr. Kristin Miller’s lab, we are directly aiding in discovering the mechanisms behind POP in order to make the lives of women all around the world easier.

Women’s health is a highly understudied area, and Dr. Miller has given us a platform to uncover how the vagina truly functions. Additionally, I am an undergraduate woman pursuing a career in a male-dominated field and the experience I gain this summer will help me secure a job post-graduation.

Before I travel back to New Orleans on June 1st to begin my work in the Biomechanics of Growth and Remodeling Lab, I am resting up after a long semester of hard work. I want to make sure that I can give my full potential to this lab and that requires me to focus on my mind and body to make sure that I am as healthy as possible. I want to start meditating on a regular basis, and I also want to relax by taking up knitting as a hobby.

Additionally, I am figuring out ways to move into my new apartment in New Orleans, including transporting furniture and setting up utilities. I am very excited about this research experience because I get to use my education in the field of biomedical engineering to do something positive for society. I am also very interested in women’s health and I plan to work in this field long-term. Thank you for this opportunity, and I will post more updates on this blog in the future.