Starting an Internship with the Center for Strategic and International Studies

Hello! My name is Hannah Moses, I am a rising senior at Tulane majoring in Political Science: International Relations with a minor in Social Innovation and Social Entrepreneurship.

I am excited to announce that I will be heading back to my favorite city, Washington, D.C., this summer for an internship with the Center for Strategic and International Studies. After having already completed an internship in our nation’s capital last summer, I’m at the edge of my seat waiting to head back there. I am excited to reunite with the connections I have made over the past year and re-enter the environment that has allowed me endless opportunities to grow.

I am determined to build on my existing network and meet many more people, go out of my comfort zone, and take advantage of the incredible leaders and professionals at my disposal to learn from. I hope to find more clarity in my interests and gain a stronger understanding for my aspirations after I graduate college in the spring of 2020.

I also plan to enter this new workplace confident in my abilities and fully committed to all of the work I am given. I never shy away from a challenge, and I am eager to experience the challenges ahead. Additionally, I am ready to continue exploring all of the museums and landmarks in Washington, try some new restaurants, and experience another summer in such a robust and dynamic city.

At CSIS, I will be interning in the internal leadership and executive education program — the Abshire-Inamori Leadership Academy (AILA). This specific department of the organization focuses on increasing leadership and professional development within the CSIS staff team, outside leaders, and with up-and-coming leaders.

AILA offers infinite opportunities for any individual, ranging from young professionals to top executives to learn about foreign policy issues and understand pathways to get involved in the policy agenda. What specifically piqued my interest with AILA is its investment in future leaders and its own staff, especially women.

The department offers many programs that allow women to learn about leadership in the realm of foreign policy. As a woman desiring to enter this field, I am thrilled to be a part of an organization that supports female leaders and provides resources to see their success.

While most interns at think tanks are conducting research, I see my position for the summer as being slightly different. Rather than focusing on a particular issue on foreign policy, I will be in the department that works with all researchers and thought leaders within the organization and helping them strengthen their own personal leadership capacities. I will help to be a part of the planning of the many programs and workshops offered through the Leadership Academy, and even have the opportunity to plan one of my own for my fellow interns at CSIS.

I am excited to be on the background side of AILA’s programming and a part of the conversations regarding leadership within CSIS and in the foreign policy space at large. This internship offers a great opportunity for growth and professional learning and will allow me to explore my interest in management and event-planning with the backdrop of a field I am incredibly passionate about – international affairs.

I am greatly looking forward to the summer ahead and updating the NCI community on the many exciting experiences that come my way. I want to thank the Newcomb College Institute and its staff for supporting my endeavours and encouraging me, along with so many other Tulane women, to chase after issues we are passionate about. I want to thank CSIS, as well, for offering me this incredible opportunity.