Another Semester with Sex Ed!

Hi everyone! My name is Harshitha and this semester, I am continuing my work with Dr. Clare Daniel on projects surrounding sex education and crisis pregnancy centers. Since January, I have been helping Clare collect administrative contacts for every public school in the state of Louisiana. By the end of this summer, I was able to gather almost all the contacts needed, and we are now in the process of sending out a survey to every school that details the level of sexual education taught. I’m excited to see the results of the survey because as someone who has grown up in Louisiana, I was able to witness the lack of sex-ed taught firsthand. Everything I have learned thus far has come from others or the internet, so I’m intrigued to see if the system has changed, especially since sex ed and reproductive health have been hotter topics in recent years.

While the survey is being sent out, I am beginning to read articles on crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs). These articles are interesting because they show the varying perspectives on what people believe is right and wrong in regards to women’s autonomy in reproductive rights. In addition, there are many CPC’s that provide false information about their services, yet find ways justify their actions. Eventually, I will work towards building an annotated bibliography, and then a literature review.

I’m excited to learn more about reproductive rights and the work every intern is doing in the coming semester!