Let Me Introduce Myself!

By: Christina Cimini

Hello! My name’s Christina Cimini. I am a senior double-majoring in Political Science and Social Policy & Practice and minoring in Economics and Chinese. Last fall, I spent the semester abroad in Taiwan, studying the language and culture while getting to know my relatives who live there. It was an incredible experience, and one I will not soon forget. Now, I am back in New Orleans, where I am doing my best to remain socially distant while also supporting the recent surge in the Black Lives Matter movement. At school, I am the president of One Love, an organization that educates people on healthy and unhealthy relationships. Additionally, I am a safety officer for the Mixed Martial Arts team and a member of Tulane’s diversity-focused a cappella group, POCappella.

This summer, I am interning with the New Orleans Abortion Fund as a Client Data Services Intern. This means I am responsible for keeping track of those who call the fund and receive pledges. I am also responsible for synthesizing this data into infographics, blog posts, or news articles. We are currently working on migrating data from our old Excel-based system into DARIA, a database created by and for abortion funds to use. It is especially important to have our data at the ready as we await the verdict on the June Medical Services, LLC v. Russo case, which would require abortion providers to have hospital admitting privileges, a wholly unnecessary and dangerously restrictive policy. Louisiana has a long history of being restrictive towards women’s right to abortion, having implemented 483 new restrictions in a mere 8 years and having a law in place which will ban abortions as soon as Roe v. Wade is overturned. This is why I think organizations such as NOAF are so crucial to women’s health in Louisiana and nationally. Since the government consistently fails to protect the right to abortion, it is up to organizations such as NOAF to fight back and protect those who have been effectively barred from receiving an abortion. Although times are particularly bleak right now, I am excited to help NOAF in their mission as it evolves in these increasingly complicated times.