My Fall 2020 Semester With Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast

For the entirety of the fall semester, I have been interning with Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast supporting their efforts to defeat Amendment 1. As election day has come and gone, we have all witnessed the passage of this amendment in Louisiana. While my colleagues doing reproductive rights work are no stranger to disappointment, the passage of Amendment 1 was my first defeat (and likely not my last). To be candid, the initial discouragement I experienced was devastating. I had never invested that much energy into a cause that I was passionate about, only for the result to be officially labeled as a loss. My work on Amendment 1 felt very personal, as I frequently spent time on the ground community organizing and canvassing. As I reflect on my time at Planned Parenthood, I realize that one of the reasons I must keep doing this work is because it feels deeply personal. Throughout the course of this internship, I have not only learned more about reproductive rights and Southern politics, but I have learned a great deal about myself. I have learned just how passionate I am about this work, so much so that I am continuing my internship with Planned Parenthood next semester. I believe I have accomplished a great deal, and I cherish the community I have cultivated within the field of reproductive rights and the greater New Orleans area.
Sincerely,
Sophie Sanchez