Continuing my Work as a RRRH Research Assistant

Hi everyone! I am excited to share what I have been working on during my second semester as a Reproductive Rights and Reproductive Health intern. Throughout my time in this program, I have had the privilege of working as a research assistant for Dr. Clare Daniel in the Newcomb Institute. This semester, I have worked on several projects including helping to write two sections for the Mary Amelia Center for Women’s Health Equity Research (MAC)’s Women and Girls report that will be used to advocate for women’s health. My sections specifically focused on abortion rights and Medicaid coverage for maternal healthcare in Louisiana. Contributing to this project has greatly deepened my understanding of healthcare in Louisiana as I am from Tennessee, where healthcare policies differ.

After completing this project, I continued working on the feminist pedagogy guide that I worked on last semester. This guide provides resources for feminist educators who teach online and hybrid classes. It was inspired by the largescale transition to online teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic. The goal of my work this semester was to add a section to the guide focusing on assessment techniques in the online classroom. The guide can be found here: https://feminists-teach-online.tulane.edu/assessments/ 

In addition to these projects, I have been curating several annotated bibliographies to assist in future research. These bibliographies have focused on coalition building, social annotations as a feminist pedagogical practice, and Medicaid coverage of birthing centers. From these bibliographies, I have compiled literature reviews that provide more context to the usefulness of these articles. Finally, I am currently working on creating a video for the New Orleans Maternal and Child Health Coalition focusing on eliminating Louisiana’s Collaborative Practice Agreement law. This video will help advocate for allowing certified nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners to practice to the fullest extent of their training.

These projects continue to inspire me to become more involved in this type of work in the future and make me excited for the future of reproductive rights.

Sincerely,

Grace Riley