My Second Semester at Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast

My Second Semester at Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast by Sophie Sanchez (she/her)

This semester, I have continued my internship with Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast. While I have always been passionate about reproductive justice, the past two semesters at Planned Parenthood have introduced me to the world of legislative advocacy. Through the Reproductive Rights and Reproductive Health biweekly meetings, my Newcomb Institute Reproductive Rights and Law course with Ellie Schilling from Lift Louisiana, and my internship with Planned Parenthood, I have been inspired to pursue law school after my undergraduate education.

While much of my work last semester focused on community organizing against Amendment 1, this semester I have pivoted towards more education-focused work. This week, I shadowed Bria Trosclair, a Health Educator with Planned Parenthood, which was informative and inspiring. Since I have been offered the opportunity to intern with PPGC for the summer as well, I am looking forward to working on more education and outreach programming.

This semester, one other project I have been working on is coalition-building within Tulane’s campus. As a member of Tulane University’s Sexual Aggression Peer Hotline and Education (SAPHE), I saw an opportunity for collaboration between SAPHE and PPGC. This coalition-building has been a collaboration between the Events Coordinator of SAPHE and me to plan events that further both organizations’ missions. I have offered Planned Parenthood volunteer opportunities to the general body of SAPHE and I am collaborating with many organizations on a Sexual Assault Awareness Month Resource Fair that is occurring on April 23, 2021. This event will allow organizations like SAPHE, Planned Parenthood, Tulane Campus Health, and Big Easy EC to showcase what they can offer survivors of sexual violence.

I consider this event very exciting and valuable. I think that collaborations between coalitions demonstrate how the oppression that marginalized people face is interconnected. Moreover, the biweekly meetings that we attend as RRRH interns further prove that the work our organizations are doing is not operating under a single-issue framework. I am consistently impressed with the work that my peers and colleagues do as RRRH interns, and I greatly appreciate the opportunity to learn from them – whether it’s regarding a piece of legislation that Saul’s Light has been working on, or a podcast that a fellow intern has been developing for VAYLA New Orleans.

As I approach my fourth internship period with the RRRH program, I am filled with gratitude. I value the unique experiences that I have gained by working with VAYLA and Planned Parenthood, and I can’t wait to continue growing.