Making a Difference in the AAPI Community & Beyond

Making a Difference in the AAPI Community & Beyond by Rajvi Kumar

The most important thing I have learned from my internship is the global perspective of reproductive justice/health. From my internship, we were able to discover how a plethora of cultures and countries tackle different topics in reproductive health- and we are able to share this knowledge on social media and other platforms. I also learned that I am a very task-oriented person. I like to have my objectives sorted out at the beginning of the week, rather than on a day-to-day basis.

The most impactful thing that I have done in my internship is definitely the Tik-Tok account. Through one video discussing sex myths, we were able to gain traction from over 4 million viewers. We then utilized that traction to bring more awareness to topics such as consent, body positivity, and sexual health.

While prior to my internship I was interested in becoming an OB/GYN, I am now almost definitely working towards pursuing that career. I see the work that they do, and I want to be able to integrate the insight I have obtained from my internship into how I treat patients, and also into activism work outside my career. I hope that I can continue to work with VAYLA New Orleans after this semester and continue to spread RJ awareness to AAPI communities and beyond.