Exploring Social Media as a Platform For Change

“Exploring Social Media as a Platform For Change”

By Leah Barry

For over the last two decades now, a number of social media platforms have been created. While many have died due to being outmoded, others have continued to thrive and grow into corporate giants. Today, 57.6% of the world’s population uses social media, and over 300 million images are uploaded daily. As a social media intern with Creative Community League, the widespread fascination with, and communicative potential of these platforms is something that is ever-intriguing to me. What forms of content are the most effective in increasing an organization’s reach? More specifically, how can the effectiveness of social media for advocacy be maximized? Early this fall, I made it a goal of mine to start to answer some of these questions. Three months later, I like to think I’ve made some progress.

What does this progress look like for me? In addition to increasing our reach by over 140% in the past three months, I’ve learned a lot about advocacy networks on social media. Uniquely intersectional, Creative Community League is distinct in that we strive to simultaneously bolster reproductive justice and the importance of art. In recognizing art as a meaningful catalyst for reproductive change, many of our projects surround amplifying the work of socially-motivated artists, and hosting conversations concerning reproductive rights, sexual health, and feminist issues. As the lead of our social media, it is my job to ensure that the content we publish is in alignment with our mission to be not only an educational platform, but also an interactive brand. Here are some guidelines I set for myself this fall to reach this progress:

1. First, learn about and prioritize engagement with the audience.

Utilize statistical insights to get to know the viewers and look to maximize content’s relevancy to them. Being aware of the age, gender, and geographical composition of the audience can be incredibly helpful in planning what to post. Using this knowledge, it’s easier to curate a schedule of content that will be mutually engaging, and effective for expanding the target audience.

1. Share valuable content.

Not only does content need to be engaging, but it also must be resourceful. For Creative Community League, valuable content ranges from insightful infographics and resources to sharing promotions that highlight the work of artists and reproductive figures.

1. Don’t be afraid to reach out.

Build partnerships with fellow non-profit organizations! Without a doubt, teaming up for any initiative can expand reach to audiences, and increase the effectiveness of change-making campaigns.

1. Language is key.

As an organization determined upon inclusivity and justice, using gender-inclusive dialogue and introducing intersectionality to describe topics in reproductive justice is mandatory for accuracy. In acknowledging diversity, inclusive language works to foster a more equitable community and counter identity-based stereotypes.

Although I am uncertain of where I will end up after graduating this spring, I am certain of one thing—my passion for feminist advocacy. Throughout my time with Creative Community League, I have learned invaluable lessons about what it means to be an effective advocate, as I have listened to the powerful stories of many advocates themselves. Today I am thankful for this opportunity, and eager to continue to work that we have started.

“Global Social Media Stats.” DataReportal Global Digital Insights. Retrieved January 31, 2022 (https://datareportal.com/social-media-users).