Summer Social Media and Advocacy Internship with Creative Community League

“Summer Social Media and Advocacy Internship with Creative Community League”

by Sara Segal

This summer I worked as a Social Media and Advocacy intern with Creative Community League. During my time working with Creative Community League (CCL), I had the amazing experience of learning more about nonprofits, the different levels of managing social media platforms, and how to curate infographics to keep an audience engaged. CCL utilizes cultural strategies for movement building, supporting artists, storytelling, and other dynamic community involvement in shifting reproductive and sexual awareness into creative spaces. In my two and a half months working with CCL, I was fortunate to experience each of these initiatives and grow from the motivation of an inspiring and diligent team.

As a Social Media and Advocacy Intern, I became competent in a variety of skills in several areas. Whether I was reaching out to local artists, visiting nearby art shows, creating infographics, or simply conducting online research, I was always eager for my next opportunity to expand my knowledge in reproductive rights and events occurring in the community. My position consisted of primarily managing the Instagram page, which was also linked to the Facebook page. At the beginning of my internship, I met with Leah Barry, who had been a Social Media Intern for CCL since May of 2021. Leah showed me the different templates and explained how she created CCL Instagram posts and infographics. With her help, I began creating posts for the Instagram page. Every week I also met with my supervisor Amy Irvin, clinic media spokesperson and former executive director of the New Orleans Abortion Fund, to go over my plan for the week. On Wednesdays, I kept residents/followers/advocates up-to-date on ProFrequency, a weekly radio program produced and hosted by Amy Irvin that covers culture, reproductive and sexual health, and other feminist issues, utilizing recorded stories and live interviews with local advocates and artists. In addition to ProFrequency, I facilitated engagement and education by covering stories on the weekly news, new legislation, interviews, art showings, and more.

Not only was I able to reach my goal of improving my skills in Canva and infographic curating, but I also had the amazing opportunity to meet with professionals surrounding the topic of reproductive health and digital communications. By having these experiences, along with conducting research each week, I was able to further my education on these topics.

Creating infographics as well as visiting and researching reproductive health events around New Orleans and my hometown of Chicago not only helped me reach my goals for this internship but was an experience in which I was able to grow intellectually as a woman in society today. I am very grateful to have had this opportunity and will continue to follow CCL and support the organization in any way I can.

If you’d like to learn more about Creative Community League, visit our website at https://www.creativecommunityleague.com or follow our Instagram @creativecommunityleague.

Images: