Learning about the Louisiana Legislature with Lift Louisiana

By Sophia Marasco

For the 2023 Spring Semester, I had the privilege of continuing to work for Lift Louisiana’s communications team, which is tasked with implementing a communications strategy in line with Lift’s mission of educating, advocating, and litigating to improve the health and well-being of Louisiana women, trans and non-binary people, their families and their communities.

In addition to continuing to post three times a week for Lift’s Instagram page, I also worked on media messaging related to the legislative session. Specifically, this past week I have worked on developing social media toolkits to share Lift’s stance on bills and encourage people to contact their representatives. In order to understand the bills that Lift is leading, supporting, opposing, and watching, I attended the LCRF Legislative Strategy Meeting. This meeting was super informative and one of the highlights of my semester; it was powerful to listen to this coalition of reproductive justice organizations coming together to advocate in the legislature. However, the true highlight of my semester was going with Lift to the state capitol for their Women on Wednesday advocacy program. At the Capitol, alongside a group of other students, I sat in on committee hearings and became better informed of the legislative process. After the committee hearings, I got the opportunity to listen to four state reps talk about the bills they are introducing in this session and ask questions. Being at the capitol was one of my favorite days at Tulane so far, and I plan on going again even after I stop working for Lift.

I am grateful for the experience of working for Lift during the 2022-2023 school year. It has been an invaluable first professional work experience, and I am proud to have supported a non-profit that does such vital reproductive justice work in Louisiana and the legislature.