NCCWSL

Meet Emily Galik! She is majoring in History and Political Science and recently attended the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL).

IMG_20160604_115019998.jpgDescribe yourself and why you wanted to attend the NCCWSL Conference:

As a student at Tulane and a Newcomb Scholar, I have been able to engage with the networks of both the university at large and with the NCI community. When presented with the opportunity to attend NCCWSL, I was excited and hoped to make national connections outside of my typical network. Due to the conference’s closeness to Washington DC, I also hoped to make connections with DC-based organizations such as nonprofits and museums, as I am interested in museum work following graduation.

Describe your favorite parts of the conference:

I personally enjoyed the workshop sessions the most. While the keynote speakers were all interesting and inspiring in their own right, the workshops allowed smaller groups to engage with professionals more tailored to our interests. The multitude of choices for workshops allowed me to choose sessions I thought would personally benefit me; I was able to attend a panel of female professionals with experience on Capitol Hill, and a session on how to track your university’s record on sexual assault.

IMG_0200.jpgHighlight a speaker or a conference event:

The above panel drove home that there is no set path into the politics—some go to law school, some run for office, some work on elections, some work in lobbying—despite many of us students believing there was a secret to their success. The practical advice given by these women has stuck with me.

Detail what you learned that you hope to never forget:

The above panel drove home that there is no set path into the politics—some go to law school, some run for office, some work on elections, some work in lobbying—despite many of us students believing there was a secret to their success. The practical advice given by these women has stuck with me.IMG_0199.jpg

Why should other students attend a NCCWSL Conference:

While pre-professional conferences gather intelligent young people together as a rule, the students are often very competitive, coming off as catty as they try to gauge their future competition. This conference’s atmosphere was the polar opposite of that, as the students were genuinely interested in getting to know each other, share their dreams and struggles, and give each other tips they’ve picked up themselves (on top of the guidance provided by the older women working the conference). Students should attend so that they can meet hundreds of other women from across the country with a variety of interests and diverse backgrounds, but all with a genuine interest in helping lift up each other in their future endeavors.

Does this sound like something you might be interested in? Tulane undergraduate students can apply to NCI for funding to attend conferences. Email Betsy Lopez at elopez@tulane.edu for more information.

Responses have been lightly edited for length and clarity.

One thought on “NCCWSL