Saying Goodbye to GIELLA

Hello from Memphis!

I am now back from NYC and am heading to study abroad in Australia on Wednesday. This past week I have been able to reflect on my time with GIELLA Custom Blend Cosmetics.

Some highlights of my internship include creating successful email campaigns about new locations and beauty topics like strobing (a new beauty trend using a highlighter), custom blending foundation, lipstick, lip gloss, blush, check tints, eye pencils, lip pencils, and bronzers, updating the customer database, and developing a new collection based on upcoming trends.

This internship helped me gain confidence in myself and my opinions and I hope that I will bring that back with me to Tulane in even small ways like being more willing to raise my hand in class. I loved the creative aspect of this business, and I also loved learning how to really run your own business. I hope that next summer I can work in a field where I can be creative but also learn the practical business skills. I think in future summers I would like to possibly work in the nonprofit field to see how the day to day business procedures compare and contrast with a for profit business.

To future students interested in interning in the cosmetic field: do not be afraid to ask questions. If you want something, ask. If you want to know about something, ask. The worst thing that happens is that people tell you, “No.” Someone turning you down really is not that bad, and I know you will have people turn you down throughout your life. I have learned to speak up and be fearless when I ask questions because if I do not ask then I will just waste my time wondering, which is really ridiculous.

In terms of being a woman leader in the workplace, I think the most important thing is not to give up and stand your ground. My boss, Giella, is a determined woman and when Vidal Sassoon took away their custom blending department she took a stand and started her own business. I find her courage to do that inspiring and it makes me believe in the power of women. Her entire company is made up of women and the strength of them demonstrates how much power determined women have. While it may take a while to prove yourself as a strong leader in the workplace, do not give up and persevere.

This internship challenged me to think more critically and analytically about problems. When things would go wrong, I had to be quick on my feet to find effective and efficient solutions. On my second day of work, we had a PR event for Yummie clothes and we almost ran out of lipstick wax. I barely knew the city, but I had to put on a brave face and go to one of our locations and get more wax and bring it back—no problem. I know in the grand scheme of things that is a small task and problem, but at the time I was so nervous. Along with my problem solving skills, this internship allowed me to grow as an individual which I think will enable me to become an even larger change maker on our campus and in the greater society.

I am so thankful that i had the opportunity to fulfill my dream of working at GIELLA Custom Blend Cosmetics in NYC this summer. This could not have been possible without the help of NCI!